Dr. Sandberg-Lewis brings 40 years of clinical experience in functional medicine to this keystone condition. A key organizer of the original SIBO Symposia, Sandberg-Lewis has brought together clinicians and researchers from the USA, Italy and Australia to share cases, clinical and bench research and innovative collaboration. You will receive the synthesis of this information and your patients will benefit from its application to your practice.
Dr. Sandberg-Lewis will offer two presentations, 90 minutes each, with the following titles and associated learning objectives:
Dysbiosis Has a New Name – SIBO Underlying Causes, Clinical Presentation, Pathophysiology and Testing
- Attendees will understand the mechanisms behind abdominal adhesions and recurrent SIBO.
- Attendees will develop a working understanding of blind loops, mural thickening and bowel obstruction as risk factors for SIBO.
- Participants will grasp the relationships among gastric acid, pancreatic enzymes and bile salts as protective factors in the prevention of SIBO.
- Participants will understand the central role of an altered migrating motor complex in SIBO.
- Attendees will grasp the key concepts in lactulose breath testing analysis.
- Attendees will see the relationship of SIBO to common chronic disease states.
- Attendees will understand how certain common medications increase the risk of SIBO.
- Participants will grasp the relationship of SIBO to iron deficiency, malabsorption and anemia.
Dysbiosis Has a New Name- SIBO Treatments – Diets, Prescriptions, and Preventative Measures
- Attendees will understand which SIBO diets are suitable for vegetarians and vegans vs. meat eaters.
- Attendees will develop a working understanding of naturally derived medicines used to reduce enteric microbes, enhance motility and normalize GI secretion.
- Participants will grasp the relationships among gastric acid, pancreatic enzymes and bile salts for the prevention of SIBO relapse.
- Participants will understand dietary and therapeutic strategies to improve the function of the migrating motor complex in SIBO.
- Attendees will grasp the key concepts for choosing effective antimicrobials based on lactulose breath testing analysis.
- Attendees will learn effective symptomatic relief measures for diarrhea and constipation that do not increase the risk of bacterial overgrowth.
- Attendees will understand the various elemental diet formulas which are therapeutic for SIBO.
- Participants will learn how effectively to treat iron deficiency, malabsorption and anemia in the setting of SIBO.