MANP Elections Policy and Procedures adopted May, 2017
Nominations Working Group:
The Executive Committee is responsible to administer regular elections of executive officers to the governing body of the corporation. The Executive Committee may function as a nominating working group or the President may appoint three to five members to a Nominations Working Group during or before the Annual Membership Meeting of the corporation. The Nominations Working Group will be comprised of those most able and willing to serve the association from the total membership. The Nominations Working Group shall serve from inception/the time of election to the conclusion of the annual membership meeting the following year.
Nominating and Election Procedures
Nominees to the Executive Committee must be Regular Members of the MANP, (ideally but in extraordinary circumstances, not necessarily) for at least 2 years immediately prior to nomination for election to Executive Committee.
Nominations Working Group named by MANP President beginning in January of the election year.
The Nominations Working Groups will issue a Call for Nominations by May 15 of the election year. The call for nomination document will include the following:
- Description of offices and board positions to be filled—name of office, responsibilities, term of office
- Reference to the Executive Director for interested parties to request Governance documents
- Description of the Nominating Petition packet contents/requirements for nominees
- Instructions for how to initiate a nomination/application for an executive board position
The Nominating Petition packet will consist of:
- A Petition for MANP Executive Committee Officer Nomination form; including a signed statement from candidate affirming familiarity with all MANP governing documents including with policy regarding elections/appointments process
- A statement of up to 500 words from candidate for publication to voting members: Why do you want to be elected to this office? What would you like to accomplish? What education, skills and experience do you bring to the position? What else would be helpful to voting members in making their voting decisions?
Completed Nomination Petitions must be received by the Executive Director by midnight of June 30 of the election year.
The Executive Committee shall cause the report of the Nominations Working Group, with or without Executive Committee endorsement, to be communicated to each and all voting members, with instructions for voting, at least thirty (30) days and not more than forty five (45) days prior to the annual meeting each year.
Ballots will be electronically distributed to all members at least thirty (30) days and not more than forty five (45) days prior to the annual meeting of members each year. Ballots will include the name and a biographical history and a statement of intent from each candidate, to assist the members in deciding their vote. Voting members shall be granted a period of thirty (30) days to forty five (45) days, following issuance of nominations, during which to communicate their vote/s to the MANP Executive Committee.
The candidates with the most number of votes shall be elected. In the event of a tie, the executive committee will vote to break the tie.
All nominees will be notified of the results of the election, as a courtesy whenever possible, prior to the general membership announcement, within three (3) business days after the annual meeting.
The newly elected Executive Committee members shall take office at the first executive committee meeting in January following the Annual Meeting each year.
Newly elected Executive Committee members will be invited to attend regular meetings of the Executive Committee occurring after the Annual Meeting and prior to taking office in January following election.
Executive Officer Vacancy
Following the election process, vacancies on the Executive Committee shall be filled via appointment by the Executive Committee. The officer appointed to a vacancy will serve the term of the officer being replaced.
Appointees must fulfill the nominating criteria as described for all nominee/applicants.
Resources available to candidates
- Applicant/nominee statements from Nominating Petition package will be distributed in the MANP eNews in the order received
- Applicant/nominees can submit any statements of reasonable length for publication in the MANP eNews
- Ballots distributed electronically will include the 500 word candidate statements from Nominating Petition package
- Any MANP publication of any kind that makes space available to any candidate shall make the same amount of space available to all candidates
- Applicant/nominees shall communicate with members regarding their candidacy via the MANP eNews and MANP website at intervals not more frequent than once a week, in order to conduct their campaigns
Elections Process Summary Timeline
1) Nominations Working Group named by MANP President beginning in January of the election year.
2) Call for Nominations issued by May 15 of the election year. The call for nomination document will include the following:
a) Description of offices and board positions to be filled, name of office, responsibilities, term of office
b) Reference to the Executive Director for interested parties to request Governance documents
c) Description of the Nominating Petition packet contents and requirements for nominees
d) Instructions for how to initiate a nomination/application for an executive board position
3) Nominations Working Group charge outcomes include:
- Providing a description of board positions open
- Creation of the Call for Nominations
- To authenticate and certify all nomination petitions
- To assure that all offices will be filled
- Plan and provide for a thoughtful distribution of nominee information and election schedule to voting members.
- Responsible to Executive Committee for election oversight
4) Nominating Petition packets are due by June 30 of the election year.
5) Ballots and candidate information will be distributed to the voting membership at least thirty (30) days and not more than forty five (45) days prior to the annual meeting each year.
6) Completed ballots will be accepted by midnight of the date of the Annual Membership Meeting.
7) Prior to submitting results to the Nominating/Election Committee, staff will assure that each vote issues from a voting member and that each member has submitted only one vote.
8) Election results certified by Nominations/Elections Committee will be announced within 3 business days the Annual Meeting. If there are unresolved issues of validity regarding any elections result, the Executive Committee will inform the membership of the nature of the discrepancy and the plan for resolution within 3 business days of the Annual Meeting.